Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Sista's!


"KAREN"


So this post should have been posted on August 2nd! Why?? I am sure all of you great minds and Barbara's blog readers alike are wondering. August 2nd is my sister Karen's birthday. Happy Birthday Sister! Karen is my sweet sister that passed away 7 years ago this month. I actually have officially outlived her now. That is kind of a hard thought to swallow. I miss her terribly and want to tell the world how much I love her. She was one of my cool big sisters. I loved when someone would say: "Hey you are Karen's little sister right?" Or "Hey you are Lele's little sister right?" I would be like "Heck yes I am! Isn't that the coolest thing in the world!!" Karen was an amazing person. She was an amazing pitcher on her High School softball team. She could throw that ball like a million miles an hour. She was like "Watch out, your about to die by softball!!" HAHA She played volleyball like a champ even though she was only 5'2" tall and maybe 90 pounds soaking wet. She had heart! She was feisty and spunky, everything I am not. I am the nice girl that gets pushed around. She was the one that would punch a man twice her size in the nose and probably knock him out. As sisters we hardly ever fought. Although once we did actually get in a physical fight! It really is funny now. I am taller and bigger than her but that didn't stop her from jumping on my back and proceed punching me in the face. It actually ended comically. Because I am taller and bigger I just reached over, peeled her off and held her back with my arm outstretched. As hard as she tried to punch me she couldn't...my arms were longer than hers! hahah The funny thing is that that is one of my fondest memories of her. I wish I still had her to talk to. I wish I still had her to give me advice. I wish I still could watch her face go completely red when she was mad. They called her the blonde tomato in High School because of that mad red face! There are still little pieces of her around though. Little pieces that get bigger every year. Her children. They are extremely precious and dear to my heart. I had the amazing opportunity to have her oldest son live with me for a year! He quickly became my best friend. I am so grateful for these little reminders in my life.
Here are some pics of us 3 sisters together!


Yes I am the Eskimo baby, and no Bob you are not a sister!


um yeah that is my giant pet ladybug!

During my current storm in life the clouds have had a silver lining......the fact that I have been able to become closer to my sister Lele!! This is a blessing that I am thankful for everyday. The "sister" relationship is one I have dearly missed and am extremely lucky to have again. Why we haven't had that before is something I cannot explain. But I am not complaining. I have her now and that means more to me than words can express. She is an amazing example of charity and love. I hope that one day when I grow up I can be just like my big "little" sister Lele. Sisters are NOT to be taken for granted. They are to be loved and appreciated and used as listeners and supporters. She has helped me more than she will ever know!
This is a quote I found that I thought kinda funny?? Pack codes and tribal laws?? The Wilson family to a T!

"We know one another's faults, virtues, catastrophes, mortifications, triumphs, rivalries, desires, and how long we can each hang by our hands to a bar. We have been banded together under pack codes and tribal laws. ~Rose Macaulay

But this quote is much sweeter:

Is solace anywhere more comforting than in the arms of a sister. ~Alice Walker

Thanks Lee! I am so lucky to have you. I have had so much fun this summer! You are my best friend...bound by pack codes and tribal laws, marathon sweat and creamsicle dresses!


Of course a Sister-in-Law shares the same rules of sisterhood. I am so grateful for my Sister's in Law. And look forward to beating one of them up later! :) You know who you are. I love ya sis! Sorry I told my Bro not to marry you!! I rue the day!!! You are special to me. I feel lucky to be a part of your life.

That is the "leave me alone or I will get you" look!

Friends can also become sisters. But very few can ever truly get to that level. I have one. My sweet sister! You know who you are. I hope that your left nostril is itching because I am talking about you. This kind of friendship is truly priceless. After all there is no charge for awesomeness and attractiveness!

All you Sista's out there take a minute and thank Heavenly Father for the opportunity of being a Sister!

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree about the sister thing. I always tell Jamie to treat Camrie better then a best friend. Friends come and go, but sisters are forever. I can't believe it's been 7 years since Karen passed away. I only got to meet her once, but she was a wonderful women. Just remember time heals all wounds. Although it feels more like,"time numbs all wounds". You have a great family Barbara, and I'm glad to be one of your cousins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree completely with your "Sister Thoughts." I can't imagine life without my sister--she's always been the path-paver, the brave one, the protector, and the all-knowing sounding board. Thanks for sharing these thoughts and feelings with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I sure do miss Karen, I enjoyed getting to know her for the short time after she moved back to Oak City! It was a really hard struggle for your family and I am still so amazed how strong your family is!!! You have some really awesome people in your family!!! I love following your blogs! :)

    ReplyDelete