Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Friends Come and Gone....

GRATEFUL! That pretty much sums it up!

Last Friday started out bad. This time of year should be one of happiness, family, Christmas cheer and thoughts of the Saviour. But sometimes during this time of year it's much easier to get caught up in stress and worry. To be honest I wasn't feeling "Christmasy" on Friday. The stress was heavy. I think good parents always want to provide happy memories and a bounteous and joyful Christmas for their children and feel the pressure to do so. Being a single parent I was feeling this pressure in a very acute sort of way. I worry that my children will miss out on the happiness. I know they feel pain because their parents aren't together. Holidays like this always hold a sting for children of divorce. Sometimes the guilt from knowing my children are in pain is almost unbearable. Then there is the financial pressure of providing "Christmas" on one part-time income on top of the regular everyday pressure of "providing" and the day-to-day taxiing, homework, school and friend issues, working on things like Faith in God and Scouts, and trying to be there emotionally for your children. Add to that feelings of loneliness and loss of friendship and you have a recipe for a bad day. I'm not trying to write a depressing post, in fact the opposite. Let me tell you how this day changed for me. I believe it was inspired.

The day had been long and I admit to feelings of despair. Later in the afternoon I was busily engaged in folding laundry with the world sitting squarely on my shoulders. Tears suddenly came and I was feeling the weight of that world. Somewhere in the back of my mind I realized that the phone was ringing... but being lost in thought I let someone else answer it. Then I heard someone telling me to pick up the phone and that the call was for me. I didn't want to get caught feeling sorry for myself and wasn't excited to talk. So I picked up the phone grudgingly, wiped away my tears and said hello. The voice said "Barb, its your long lost friend.." I immediately recognized her voice as one of my best friends from the past whom I had lost contact with and hadn't heard from in over five years. We had been so close. Our families had gone camping together, played games together and been there for each other during hard times. As we talked and caught up, and as I briefed her on my life over the last five years I was overcome with the love and concern I heard in her voice and we cried together. We talked for over an hour and when I hung up I was absolutely overcome with gratitude for her friendship, love and support and that she had "hunted me down".

I recently read a quote by Chris Karcher "God is always at work, even- especially- in our brokeness." I believe that with all of my heart. That call buoyed me up, made me feel loved, and brightened my outlook considerably. It was a balm to my soul. Such a small thing, but for me was so large. During our call she mentioned how she had felt the need to find me for a few months... but I know, she called me on exactly the right day. I know Someone is watching over us. And my heart is full.

This Christmas really has been full of miracles for myself and my family. The author of "The Hiding Place" Corrie ten Boom once said " Every experience God gives us, every person he puts in our lives, is the perfect preparation for the future only He can see." How true that is. I have been truly blessed with "experience" and "people" and can see that quote come to life as I look back at my life.

I am going to focus on the blessing of "people". We take risks when we make friends, and sometimes we love people who don't love us back and we lose friends whom we thought were true. But I think it only makes us more grateful for the ones who are. My family, my friends the new and the old....my "peeps" LOL ;) have been there for me. I have received help and support in unexpected ways this Christmas and I want to say THANK YOU. Thank you for being inspired for my family, showing and sharing your love and being there for us. I am so lucky. Life is good, bounteous and full.

A special shout-out to you...Sister Lele. Where would I be without you? I love you so. XOXO

It is my prayer that all of you feel this kind of love and support this year during Christmas. And that we can all remember that that is the most important gift we can give as well.

ok...ok... I'm going to quite boobing... next post is gonna be silly...I promise! ;)

Merry Christmas everyone!!!!!

-Seacrest out

No comments:

Post a Comment